Sunday, September 12, 2010

REMEMBERING 9/11

Like many others, I remember September 11, 2001 quite vividly -the day the world changed. When Muslims and the rest of the world went from a somewhat stable coexistence, to the current war-like state. The tragic event, amongst other things, sparked a lot of debate. In the last 9 years, there have been many debates on the subject: Who was responsible? Why did this happen? What does this mean for the future of the world? Is the War on Terror justified?
The United States initiated a ‘war against terror,’ which even today shapes foreign policy and ordinary lives from Washington to Baghdad, Kabul to Khartoum. 9/11 has become the subject of books, articles, talk shows, interviews, films, blog posts.
On September 11 2001, hundreds of people lost their lives. That is what I commemorate; that is what I remember. I didn’t know any of them, but I know they must have had parents, siblings, children, nieces, nephews and cousins, just like me. I know that they left behind families and friends whose lives are forever torn apart. I know that it was the day the world went to hell. So I commemorate that day, and remember the 11th of September, for I see no reason why it should be forgot. And my most severe condemnation is aimed at the terrorists and their reprehensible actions. Attacks against civilians are condemned in Islam in no uncertain terms, and the majority of Muslims are peace-loving people who denounce such evil. Islam rejects such acts, since it forbids killing of civilians even during times of war, especially if they are not part of the fighting. A religion that views people of the world in such a way cannot in any sense condone such criminal acts, which require that their perpetrators and those who support them are held accountable.
I believe that the entire issue is political. It has really nothing to do with any religion. Meanwhile, a pastor in Florida plans to memorialize the Sept. 11 attacks with a bonfire of Holy Qurans. I have to say that this has really nothing to do with Christianity. These are neither the first nor the last problems to arise after 9/11. Terrorists and extremists have their own selfish interests (political and economic gains) at heart. They do not belong to any religion or community. As the movie" my name is khan" puts it -there are only good people and bad people. There are no good Hindus, bad Hindus, good Christians, bad Christians. Either you are a good person or a bad person. Religion is not the criterion, humanity is!

No comments:

Post a Comment